chicago format essay
- The bibliography should start on a new page, and be titled ‘Bibliography’ at the top in 12 pt. Times New Roman font. Do not embolden the title.
- Use proper formatting for each type of source and always using a hanging indent. The first line of the citation will begin on the margin, subsequent lines are indented (opposite of a footnote/endnote).
- The bibliography must be ordered alphabetically.
- Entries should be typed single-space with a blank line between each separate citation.
- If you have multiple bibliographic entries from the same author, it is acceptable to use what is called the ‘3-em’ dash to replace the name of the content creators. For Example:
- Footnotes will always appear at the bottom of the page where the reference occurs and endnotes go on a separate page after the body of the paper.
- Place the note number at the end of the sentence in which the reference occurs and after any punctuation; remember to superscript it.
- If using endnotes, title the top of the first page as ‘Notes’ in 12 pt. Times New Roman font. Do not embolden the title.
- All notes should be typed in 12pt font using Times New Roman.
- Within the notes themselves, numbers are full-sized, and are followed by a period.
- Indent the first line of any footnote 1/2” from the margin. Other lines will be flushed left (this formatting is opposite of the bibliography).
- Notes should be typed using single-space, but different notes should contain a space between them.
- Only use Arabic numerals, not Roman.
- Never reuse a number.
- Use a shortened citation for sources you refer to more than once.
- If citing multiple sources in a single note, separate each citation with a semicolon.
- Never use two note numbers at the end of a sentence (see above).
- If citing the same work again immediately after you’ve already cited it, use ibid.
Regular Writing Center Hours:
Author Last Name, First M. “Chapter or Essay Title.” In Book Title, edited by First M. Last Name, page range. Place of Publication: Publisher, date.
Chicago note citations follow the exact same format whether they appear in footnotes or endnotes.
- Academic style
- Vague sentences
- Style consistency
The Key Directions and Techniques (Level 2)
Poetry example of Chicago style block quote Notes-Bibliography System:
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms. ВІ
ВІ William Shakespeare, вЂњFirst FolioвЂќ. Edward Blount and William and Isaac Jaggard, 1623.
- Cover/title page
- Body of the paper
- Appendix (if needed)
Overall page layout