format for essay writing in ielts
Finding Ideas: Developing ideas for essay topics
- IELTS recommend you spend no more than 40 mins on writing task 2. However, the time is yours to manage as you wish.
- You should write over 250 words. In the lessons below you will learn about word count and essay length.
- IELTS writing task 2 is worth only about 66% of your total writing marks.
- Learn how your total writing score is calculated: Total Writing Score Calculations
- You will be marked on:
- Task Response (25%)
- Coherence & Cohesion (25%)
- Vocabulary (25%)
- Grammar (25%)
- For band score tips and details, see this page: IELTS Writing Task 2 Band Scores
- Academic writing task 2 is a formal essay. The common types of essays are: Opinion, Discussion, Advantage/Disadvantage, Direct Questions, Solutions. These categorisations will differ from teacher to teacher depending on how they like to teach. See below for 100 IELTS Essay Questions to practise at home.
- GT writing task 2 is the same as Academic IELTS. The essay is written in the same way and the scoring is the same. The only difference is that GT essay questions are often easier and topics are simpler.
- All words will be counted, even small or repeated words. See this page: How Words are Counted
- COMPUTER DELIVERED IELTS: See the following link to read Pros and Cons of Computer Based IELTS:
- For more information about IELTS test rules and info, see this page: IELTS Test FAQ
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
3- Reason why you agree or disagree with viewpoint
If we start to work now, we can help improve the quality of life in big cities in the near future. Construction companies need to plan ahead and start constructing more housing units from now. Furthermore, more of local food should be produced in the country to provide people with cheaper food alternatives in the growing market
In conclusion, larger cities have lower the standard of life for many. However, if we start to work now, we would be able to combat this problem in the near future
Some people think it’s the government’s responsibility to tackle environmental issues. Others believe it is up to each individual to be environmentally responsible. Discuss both sides.
Here you have two questions to answer. 1. Why are people traveling more than before. 2. What are the benefits of traveling. You should spend one paragraph on answering each question.
We have an IELTS course for you, no matter what your schedule or budget is.
Now that you have given your opinion, you need to back it up.