how do you format a college essay
Works Cited Pages
Correction: Wright argues that Shakespeare’s comedies are in fact “more tragic than his tragedies” (22).
One space following
This sentence contains two errors. An APA in-text citation does not require the title of the source. Also, commas are used in in-text citations rather than semicolons, and “p.” should precede the page number.
Alright, letвЂ™s carry over to the APA style specifics.
- Double spaced everywhere.
- No extra spaces, especially between paragraphs.
- Always draft your essay in a word processing software, even if you’ll be copy-and-pasting it over into a text box.
- If you are copy-and-pasting it into a text box, make sure your formatting transfers properly, your paragraphs are clearly delineated, and your essay isn’t cut off.
- If you are attaching a document, make sure your font is easily readable, your margins are standard 1-inch, your essay is 1.5 or double-spaced, and your file format is compatible with the application specs.
- There’s no need for a title unless otherwise specified—it will just eat into your word count.
Tips for the macro level of your college application essay format:
The last step is editing and proofreading your finished essay.
College essay questions often suggest one or two main ideas or topics of focus. These can vary from personal to trivial, but all seek to challenge you and spark your creativity and insight.