how to properly format an essay in google docs
Google uses the default margin of 1 inch for all top, right, bottom & left so there is no need to change.
If you would like to verify the margins, here are the steps: click on File => Page Setup
- A heading “Works Cited” centered one inch below the top edge of a new page. Do not bold or underline this heading.
- No indent on the first line of each entry. If an entry runs more than one line, indent the subsequent line or lines 1/2 inch from the left margin.
- Alphabetize entries in your list of works cited by the author’s last name, using the letter-by-letter system.
- Immediately after typing the final line of your paper, click on Insert => Page Break (to begin a new page). Your header with your last name and automatic page numbering should appear at the top right of your paper.
- Click on the align center icon so that the text is centered.
- Type Works Cited (do not underline, boldface, italicize, or enclose the title in quotation marks).
- Press the Enter key once to begin a new line.
- Click on the align left icon so that the text is aligned left.
- Now type your sources. Don’t worry about indentation on the subsequent line/lines yet.
- Once you are done typing your sources => highlight all your sources => click on the Left Indent icon and drag it to the 1/2 inch mark .
- Now click on the First Line Indent icon and drag it to 0 inch mark . You are done setting the Hanging Indent for Google Docs.
There are two methods:
Now you’re ready to create a table of contents. Hold your cursor where you’d like to insert it and click Insert > Table of contents to choose an option based on your preference.
The Home and Business packages run from $69.99 (for an individual user at home) up to $150 (for an individual user at work) for an annual membership. Google Docs, on the other hand, allows you to collaborate with any number of people, anywhere in the world, for free.
This launches a panel on the right that you can use to navigate through your document using the same headers that are in your table of contents.
All you have to do to get started is create the first header, highlight it, and then select the Normal text dropdown to choose your top level header style.
At the top of every page, including the first page, you need to include your last name and the page number. Follow these steps to set up the MLA header in your Word or Google Docs document:
Place the title “Works Cited” in the center at the top of the page. After the title, press ENTER once and insert your MLA references.