how to write an essay in apa format step by step
- Type your piece of writing on a sheet of paper with a standard size of 8.5” x 11”.
- Your document should be double-spaced with 1-inch margins.
- APA Manual recommends using a well-readable font like Times New Roman 12 pt.
- Indent the first word in all your paragraphs.
- At the top of all pages, you have to include a running head which should be no more than 50 characters with spaces in length. It’s a shortened version of your paper’s title. Note that on the Title Page, your header should contain the term “Running head” and after the colon – the “TITLE OF YOUR PROJECT” in capital letters. The running head has to be left-justified.
Please remember that if you’re making a student document, an author note isn’t required.
If your instructor has asked you to write an APA format essay, it might at first seem like a rather daunting task, especially if you are accustomed to using another style such as MLA or Chicago. Before you begin your essay, familiarize yourself with some of the basics.
After you have prepared a rough draft of your essay, it is time to revise, review, and prepare your final draft. In addition to making sure that your writing is cohesive and supported by your sources, you should also watch carefully for typos, grammar errors, and possible formatting mistakes.
Put two spaces after the period for each sentence in the body of the paper (Note, use only one space after a period in your references at the end of the paper). Microsoft Word does not have a setting to automatically put in two spaces at the end of a sentence, but you can set-up the grammar check to alert you when only one space is used. In Word 2007, click on File, then click Options. Next, click on Proofing. Under When correcting spelling and grammar in Word, click on Settings. Next to Spaces required between sentences, change the setting to 2. Click OK to exit. This setting will alert you to single spaces after a period with the green squiggle that shows when there is a grammar error in your paper.
Leave 1 in. margins from top to bottom and side to side. Microsoft Word usually is set to 1 in. margins. You can check this by clicking on Page Layout, then click on Margins. The margin you are using is highlighted, select Normal if it is not already selected.
We know putting together a table is pretty tricky. That’s why we’ve included not one, but a few tables on this page. Scroll down and look at the additional tables in the essay in APA format example found below.
The main character, Evan, finds a mysterious diary on his father’s desk (the same desk his
One of the more complicated tasks in writing the paper is doing in-text citations correctly. Here are a few rules to consider as far as this is concerned:
To add a header and page number to the rest of the pages: