how to write an essay in asa format
As a general rule, in-text citations are set at the end of the paraphrased idea and contain both the writer’s name plus the year of publication of the source. If the name of the author is already mentioned, no need to repeat it in the practical citation. It is only necessary to specify the year of publication into the parenthesis.
If you have no experience in paper formatting, you can find any ASA format sample paper on the Internet. You have an option to check an ASA format example on our website or order a ready-made piece from our experts. Choose what suits you better.
As a rule, the format of your paper must follow the requirements described below:
On the title page, write the complete title of your paper, your name and the college you’re attending. Moreover, it’s advisable to add a total word count, which also includes all annotations and citations.
Second-level headings are italicized, left-justified, and all words except prepositions and conjunctions are capitalized.
- Title page: Includes full title followed by an asterisk, name(s) and institution(s) of author(s), a complete word count, running head, and a title footnote with name and address of author(s), acknowledgments, credits, and grant information (if any).
- Abstract: Begin on a new page headed by the title. Brief, jargon-free paragraph (less than 200 words) summarizing the work, followed by three to five key words.
- Body: Begin on a new page headed by the title. Use headings and subheadings after the introduction.
- Notes: Footnotes and endnotes should be indicated in the text with superscripted numbers. The notes can be typed at the bottom of the page (footnotes) or in a separate section labeled Notes or Endnotes. Do only one or the other; not both. Begin each note with its superscript number.
- References: List alphabetically in a new section labeled References.
- Appendices: If more than one, label Appendix A, Appendix B, etc. Appendices should be labeled with a title.
- If the author’s name is in the sentence, simply include the year:
ASA citation example:
And we’re still not done helping you! Here are some more important tips for you regarding an ASA style essay!
Don’t despair when your instructor wants you to hand in a paper in the ASA essay format. Surely, you are already familiar with major writing styles and even know their differences and specific features. That said, ASA may still sound strange even to students with some experience in writing. But, if you are dealing with style now, conduct some research on it to lend more credibility to your work.