informal essay format
The following examples highlight the differences between formal and informal tone.
Informal essays are largely written for enjoyment. You should already be familiar with this kind of writing if you have ever read an opinion piece, some kind of observation, or a humorous story. They are more relaxed than, say, formal essays, but still can be quite persuasive and informative. Here are 10 things you need to know about the informal essay format:
- It must have an audience. Before you even start writing you should think critically about who your audience is. Not everyone will want to read about your topic, and those who do probably don’t want to be overwhelmed with informative definitions. Keep your audience in mind.
- It should have a purpose. What is the point of writing this? Your informal essay should have a thesis statement and behind that thesis should be a reason for this undertaking. Make a list of reasons to clearly define what you are trying to achieve.
- It must have some structure. The five-paragraph format is the standard for academic writing. This kind of assignment can move away but must still adhere to some kind of structure. Three-paragraphs, four-paragraphs, etc., are all okay, just stick to some kind of structure.
- It must explain the necessary. When you’re writing an informal essay you need to give the audience the all the details it requires to know exactly where you are coming from. This should be noted as early as possible, preferably within the first few sentences.
- It has to have a beginning. The beginning must lay out all important background information and include the thesis statement. Think about this section as a means of charting a course for the reader’s journey.
- It has to have a middle. The middle section should include the bulk of your work. In this you will present your case and provide examples or supporting evidence from your experience or from other sources.
- It has to have an ending. The ending should bring the essay to a close. A great method of doing this stylistically is to come full circle to the beginning by referencing the start of the story.
- It must have a defined tone. Despite this being an open essay of sorts, you must still adhere to some kind of tone. Are you angry? Are you happy? Are you sad? Stick with one tone for uniformity.
- It must have good writing. Just because it is “informal” doesn’t mean you can bypass the rules of grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Your writing can be stylistic but it must adhere to the rules of good writing.
- It cannot be confusing. This last point is very simple. If the reader gets to the end and isn’t sure what you have said about your topic, then you have failed in writing a good informal piece.
- The Best Journey of My Life
- The Point in My Life Where I Would Start Over
- The Perfect Woman, Marriage and Divorce
- My Religion
- The Celebrities Give Us Bad Examples
- The вЂњDelightsвЂќ of Our School Cafeteria
The informal essay is written mainly for enjoyment. This is not to say that it cannot be informative or persuasive; however, it is less a formal statement than a relaxed expression of opinion, observation, humor or pleasure. A good informal essay has a relaxed style but retains a strong structure, though that structure may be less rigid than in a formal paper.
Remember to use informal language. Don’t get too technical or too stuffy. If you find yourself going down that road as you write, pause and think about how you would express the same idea in a conversation with a friend. Then write that down.
Your writing style in your informal essay should also be “informal”. Using slang and colloquialisms is generally permitted in this type of essay (though make sure you use good judgement and refrain from offensive or explicit language). A conversational tone, as though you were explaining something to a friend, is about the right tone for an informal essay. In fact, in this type of essay, it’s generally best to steer clear of overly academic writing. You want to make the subject as accessible to the average person as possible.
Click the images to see their full size.
Before we are talking about how to write this type of paper, we should understand what is informal writing. Informal writing is writing where you should reveal your ability to write informally and express your own point of view on an issue. If you write informally, try to express your own personality in the essay. Don’t worry about writing in academic style, but avoid sloppiness.