purdue owl mla essay format
Abbreviations Commonly Used
- Type using a word processing program such as Microsoft Word
- 8.5″ x 11″ paper
- 1″ margins on all sides
- 12 pt. Times New Roman font
- Leave only one space after periods or other punctuation marks (unless otherwise instructed by your instructor).
- Indent the first line of paragraphs one half-inch from the left margin, use the Tab key as opposed to pushing the Space Bar.
- Create a header that numbers all pages consecutively in the upper right-hand corner, one-half inch from the top and flush with the right margin. (Note: Your instructor may ask that you omit the number on your first page. Always follow your instructor’s guidelines.)
- Use italics throughout your essay for the titles of longer works and, only when absolutely necessary, providing emphasis.
- If you have any endnotes, include them on a separate page before your Works Cited page. Entitle the section Notes (centered, unformatted).
The following guidelines come from Purdue’s The OWL.
Please note: The following guidelines for formatting your paper in MLA style are based on the 8th edition of the MLA Style Guide. As new editions of the Guide are released, we will update this FAQ.
1. Core Elements
Books and Other Printed Works
Wednesday: 10a – 2p email the OWL; you will be answered within minutes * we have virtual appointments available see below for more information.
Tuesday: 12n – 4p email the OWL; you will be answered within minutes * we have virtual appointments available see below for more information.
MLA stands for the Modern Language Association. Most papers that use MLA formatting and citation style are those written in the humanities, especially in languages and literature. In 2016, the MLA Handbook was updated in an effort to simplify much of the documentation process in MLA format.
Papers constructed according to MLA guidelines should adhere to the following elements: