what is a short essay format
1. Each short essay should be a short essay of approximately 500 words, about 2 typewritten double-spaced pages in length. You must write in full sentences and use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
4. Misrepresenting the words or ideas of others as your own is plagiarism. You will not receive credit for any essays that contain plagiarism,. Moreover, it is course policy that plagiarism will result in a failing grade for the course and the possibility of further administrative sanctions.
A short essay can often prove to be more difficult to write than a longer essay. While in longer essays, you have ample space to explain and clarify all your points, in a shorter essay you might feel like you do not have enough space to make a strong argument. The key to writing a short essay is including only the most pertinent information necessary to make your point.
There are two things to consider when writing a short essay: placement and complexity. The shorter your essay, the earlier your thesis should appear. If you are writing a 3-4 paragraph essay, your thesis should be one of the first three sentences. If you are writing 1-2 paragraph essay, your thesis should be in the first sentence and should also function as an acting hook. The thesis must be both interesting and all-encapsulating. The shorter your essay is, the less time there is for nonsense, and the greater the need to cut straight to the chase.
Whether you were assigned to write college papers, descriptive, argumentative or narrative essays of a short size, there are some basic requirements that you should follow. Let’s take a look at all steps involved in the process of short essay writing.
- Choose a topic you’re interested in. This is key to crafting an interesting, thoughtful essay that all readers will enjoy. If you want to know about something and if you have personal investment in a topic, you’ll definitely achieve success because you’ll be a part of your own audience. You’ll be sure to choose the most interesting facts. Passion is always evident in writing, even if it’s an academic paper, and it will bring you better results than if you’re to choose something just because you know it’s popular.
- Knowtargetaudience. Don’t forget who your audience is. It depends on the task, so make sure you identify people who will be reading such an essay before starting writing. If a professor is this primary audience, then they already have some idea about your topic, meaning that recapping the basics isn’t necessary. In other cases, starting with something broader is better to avoid confusing target readers.
- Read. Academic writing means that you have to possess certain knowledge. Research chosen topic before writing first paragraph. Read the text from the sources you’ve selected at least partly to gain in-depth ideas for your own short essay.
- Avoid distractions. Writing essays while watching TV show to make the process a little more interesting might seem tempting, but unless you’re very experienced writer, don’t do that. Focus on writing an essay entirely. This way, you’ll be able to finish it pretty soon as nothing will distract you, and your content will be specific and on-point.
- Don’t give up. It might feel like writing is getting too difficult and finishing this essay is simply impossible. There are no ideas that could be still used, all inspiration has left long ago, and many much more interesting and engaging tasks are waiting, beckoning closer. Taking a break is great at this point, but giving up entirely? Definitely not. Relax for some time if it’s necessary for restoring balance, but then continue working. Feeling proud and accomplished in the end of such work is going to be the best reward. Same applies in situations when one’s essay comes back graded poorly. It’s upsetting, sure, but it doesn’t mean putting efforts isn’t worth it. Sooner or later, persistence will pay off and it’ll be reflected in all future grades you get.
- Use online editing/proofreading services. Students are often sure that their short essay writing is flawless, but they are still likely to have made some mistakes. Typos can be nasty, and if someone has just finished writing an essay, these small issues might be easily overlooked even during re-reading process. That’s why it’s better to entrust your text to online grammar checkers. Another option entails using EduBirdie’s editing and rating services so you wouldn’t miss anything.
Arguments with less strong supporting evidence should be presented in a descending order.
Yet, the major part that the essay revolves around is the body, which should open all the facts, arguments, supporting evidence, and viewpoints on the subject. All information needs to be appropriately and coherently listed so that readers could enjoy smooth reading and actually understand your claims. If in the course of your research and preparation of your essay you found nice quotes, dates, names that could help you discuss the topic better, use them in the main body section to illustrate the facts and provide examples. However, keep in mind that all the paragraphs in the body of the short essay should be logically connected, thus use transitions for smooth flow of the text. In case you feel that your paragraphs do not follow the general flow of your thoughts, you may want to go back to the outline for your essay to get a better perspective on how you can fix some things.
- Choice of subject: An essay should address a topic or an edge of a topic in a way that generates interest and, if possible, passion. In addition, it should not be such a broad topic, but as narrow as possible.
- Documentation: Once we have chosen the subject, we must document ourselves, that is, read about it from different sources, to get a more complete idea about the subject.
- Preparation: Before writing, it is convenient to make an outline of ideas that will serve as a script or essay skeleton, telling us in what order to approach each idea or argument.
- Writing: We proceed to write according to the script, which means exposing the ideas as clearly as possible and in the most logical order possible, then rereading the entire text and correcting the writing, making sure that it says what it is intended to say.
Designing a small essay does not require much time. Complete planning is usually necessary when you are writing a short essay preparing a course. When you are planning the structure of a short essay, all you have to do is focus on a single point you want to address. It makes no sense to describe all ideas or opinions because you have no time or space for it. A good and comprehensive short essay focuses on an idea.